Skype was the first widely used program for video chat in the early 2000s, and several years later it is still one of the most popular communication apps, even holding its own against strong competitors like Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Although it was most famous for video calls, you can also use Skype as a regular instant messenger or even to make voice calls – calls are free from Skype account to Skype account or to a mobile number that has Skype mobile. And you can even use it to call landline or mobile phones that aren’t associated with a Skype account at all for a very reasonable rate.
If you want to start connecting with your friends, family and colleagues on Skype, you’ll first need to create a Skype account. Don’t worry – the process is quite simple, and I’m going to walk you through it one step at a time. You might even already have one without even realizing it!
How to create a Skype account
Before you go and create a new Skype account, let’s make sure you don’t already have an account that can be used on Skype without realizing it. A few years ago, Skype was acquired by Microsoft, which means that any Microsoft account is now automatically a Skype account. So if you have a Hotmail or Outlook email address, MSN account, Windows Live account, OneDrive, Xbox Live, or any other type of account for an official Microsoft service, 9 times out of 10 you can use that same exact username + password to log in to Skype. You won’t know for sure until you try!
Now, if that doesn’t apply to you, or if you simply want to create a new Skype account that isn’t associated with any of your existing accounts, you can continue with the following step by step instructions to sign up for Skype:
- Either download the Skype app to your smartphone and tap on the “sign up” button, or go to the home page online at Skype.com. On the home page, click on the little arrow next to the “sign in” button, and find the link that invites you to sign up if you don’t already have a Skype account.
- You’ll be prompted to enter your mobile phone number and a password to go with your account. If you would rather have your new Skype account linked to your email address, you can do that by clicking on the “use your email instead” link. This is also where you’ll choose your Skype account password.
- Skype will ask for your full name on the next page. Enter it and click “next”.
- Finally, they’ll send you a verification code or link to either your email address or phone number, whichever you used to set up the account. Follow the instructions to verify the account, and continue on to the next step.
- You may be asked to fill out additional information like birthday, location, language preferences, etc. before your account is ready to go. Enter in all the necessary information, and click the button to create your new Skype account!